We are pleased to announce the recipients of Regional Opportunity Initiatives, Inc.’s Advancing Out-Of-School STEM Learning Grants. ROI has provided the Foundation with a generous grant of $25,000 to support STEM-focused educational programming in Greene County. Those grant dollars have been passed on to five local programs:
- Manufacturing Skills For Success, a vocational training/education program hosted by White River Valley High School and administered by Purdue University, will receive $10,000 in support of its 2018 cohort, helping to subsidize the costs of attendance for students seeking education and certificates towards manufacturing career pathways.
- The Greene County 4-H Robotics Club, a STEM-focused extracurricular program for K-12 students from around the county, will receive $7,500 for the purchase of needed equipment to expand its popular robot-building and programming classes.
- NSWC Crane’s STEM community outreach program will receive $3,600 in support of its Community Hackathon program, a STEM-focused program for middle school and high school students focused on using STEM-related concepts to propose solutions to real problems facing the community.
- Eastern Greene Elementary and Middle Schools will receive $2,900 to support their Elementary and Middle School STEM Clubs, which will hold after-school STEM Family Nights and STEM summer camps focusing on coding and robotics.
- The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will receive $1,045 towards their 2018 “Rock Your Library” summer reading program, which will include innovative uses of computers and teach simple coding with the goal of creating music, games, and other computer-generated materials.
The Foundation is honored to support all five of these programs, and believes that they will succeed in bringing advancement of STEM learning to the Greene County community. The Foundation and ROI agree that STEM opportunities are vital to the youth of Greene County in order to prepare them for the abundant career opportunities that exist within STEM-related fields in the area. Congratulations to all grant recipients!
The mission of Regional Opportunity Initiatives, Inc. (ROI) is to support economic and community prosperity in the 11 counties of Southwest Central Indiana (Brown, Crawford, Daviess, Dubois, Greene, Lawrence, Martin, Monroe, Orange, Owen, and Washington counties). ROI is implementing education and workforce initiatives and regional engagement initiatives for quality of place development. These initiatives include the Advancing Out-Of-School STEM Learning Grants, STEM Fellows, the Ready Schools Initiative, and the Regional Pathways Institute. More information can be found at https://swcindiana.org.